NAGANO RYU HEIHOU KYOKAI
OFFICIAL RANKING SYSTEM
Nagano Ryu Heihou has 5 catalogs.
1. Gedan no Maki
2. Hiden Mokuroku
3. Chuden Mokuroku
4. Okuden Mokuroku
5. Ami Mokuroku
Student grades are broken into 2 categories: Mudansha & Yudansha. The Mudansha are not Ranks this is why Mudansha means: No Rank or Grade.
Yudansha (Black Belts) are grades for advanced students denoting a stage of advanced training. However, not everyone is meant to instruct or teach. There are a lot of skilled individuals who are not interested in instruction but simply love training and challenging themselves. However, only yudansha with licenses in Nagano Ryu are allowed to open branch schools to instruct. Each Mokuroku (Catalog) contains several areas of study for each student to master. Mastery is measured by several levels of licenses. Each license represents a specific area of proficiency.
HOW DO YOU KNOW IF YOUR SCHOOL IS LICENSED?
Firstly, Nagano Ryu authorized schools will be listed on this website in the authorized schools section. Secondly, authorized schools adhere to the official grading/ranking system. Finally, all licensed instructors are listed on this website.
STUDENT GRADES: There are only 3 OFFICIAL student belts at the Mudansha levels.
1. ROKYU - WHITE
2. GOKYU - WHITE
3. YONKYU - GREEN
4. SANKYU - GREEN
5. NIKYU - BROWN
6. IKKYU - BROWN
ADVANCED RANKS: The first official rank in Nagano Ryu Heihou is Shodan "The Beginning". Individuals with the first level rank of Shodan are considered "Yudansha".
NAGANO RYU MENKYO (LICENSES)
1. Daihan 代範 - an honorific title to designate an official instructor position assisting and representing the Ryuha. In Nagano Ryu the Daihan position is granted to licensed instructors with minimum Oku Iri license and is running a Nagano Ryu Branch school. The Daihan title is written and only spoken on occasions where an introduction is required. Other then this, the title Sensei is always used.
2. Shihan 師範 - An honorific title for expert or senior instructor. It can be translated as "master instructor"
3. Kyoshi 教士 - An honorific title for expert or senior instructor. It can be translated as "master instructor"
4. Hanshi 範士 - "teacher of teachers". This title is used by many different arts and organizations for the top few instructors of that style, and is sometimes translated "Grand Master"
6. Soke 宗家 - "Head of the Tradition"
These are the official instructor licenses used in Nagano Ryu Heihou. These may only be attained by those who are actively teaching Nagano Ryu. These titles are often not spoken as the title Sensei is appropriate with-in the dojo. These titles are used on written documents or sparingly used as introductions.
1. Daihan 代範 - In Nagano Ryu the Daihan position is granted to licensed instructors with minimum Oku Iri license. This position is authorized by the National Headquarters ONLY for instructors that have been approved to run a Nagano Ryu Branch school. A Daihan is actively teaching Nagano Ryu in their own branch dojo as well as promoting and spreading the system by running workshops & seminars coordinated with the national headquarters and regional directors.
2. Shihan 師範 - An honorific title that can be translated as "master instructor". In Nagano Ryu, the Shihan is actively representing the Nagano Ryu Heihou Kyokai as a whole by overseeing branch schools in their region. This means that each Shihan has the responsibility of traveling to Nagano Ryu branch schools to oversee promotions, teach workshops and seminars, as well as promoting the system by building a positive name in the community at large.
3. Kyoshi 教士 - An honorific title for "master". In Nagano Ryu, each Kyoshi is designated as a regional director primarily with the responsibility of maintaining the stability of the System and our organization in their region. Responsibilities include, running and planning national and international events, travel to Japan and with-in the continental USA teaching and supporting branch schools and Shihan's. Conducting promotions, and expanding the federations relationships with other like minded organizations. This position is a major responsibility.
4. Hanshi 範士 - "Grand Master" Completed System